race kit car

Go Kit Car Racing

race your kit carFancy Your Chances At Kit Car Racing?

Where to start? It’s a lot easier than you might think to get involved. Though motor racing can never be truly cheap, racing at club level is the backbone of the sport in this country and need not be prohibitively expensive.

It is still possible to race competitively in a car, which you have driven to the circuit. 

1. Get a Race Licence, issued by the Motor Sports Association (MSA).
2. Join the appropriate Motor Club.
3. Register for a championship or race series.

1. Getting a Race Licence:

race bike powered kit carApply to the MSA for a “Go Racing Pack ”; this will include a Race Licence Application Form, a simple Medical Form to be completed by your GP and a useful DVD/video outlining some of the things you will come across in your ARDS course.

What’s an ARDS Course? The Association of Racing Driving Schools, which are situated at most of the race circuits in the UK, run one-day courses which include theory tests of your basic knowledge of motor sport (flag signals etc) and a practical ‘test’ of your ability to drive safely around a circuit. On the assumption that you pass your ARDS course and your GP (or another Doctor) is happy with your physical condition, you can then apply to the MSA for your National B Race Licence. When you get your licence, you will also get a copy of the (commonly called the Blue Book). This contains all the General Regulations of the MSA some of which, like section [C (c)] – Safety, is essential reading; other bits will send you to sleep at night!

Join a Motor Club:

The 750 motor club hold a number of kit car racing championships and are a well established club offering , but by no means the only one offering kit car racing.
Download a 750 Motor Club membership form > Download here
Or search for other clubs here on the MSA site.

Register for a Championship/Race Series:

Choose a race series:
750 Motor Club race series – Click here to view /Download the regulations and registration form.

Costs (Approx.) :

race kit carsMSA ‘Go Racing’ Pack £55
ARDS Course (2008 rate) £275
MSA National B Licence £51
750 Motor Club Membership £50
Championship Registration £75

Other Considerations:

You will have to have the correct safety clothing (overalls, gloves, helmet); bear in mind that the standards for these are reviewed each year. It’s probably advisable to wait until you have your copy of the current ‘Blue Book’ before committing to the expense; it also ensures that you are not sold something which is not eligible in car racing – helmets are a prime example.

Oh, and I suppose you’ll need to have a race car as well!

A couple of race series For Your Consideration.

Sports Specials  – 750M/C Series For kit Cars

Description, regulations and registration for the Sports Specials formulae.

Vehicle Type

Catering for genuine ‘production’ Sports Specials, Kit Cars, including all Raw cars as well as’ one-off’ road-going two-seater specials, all using production car engines with modifications.

Classes are 2001 – 3500; 1800 Zetec; Striker, Phoenix or Fulcrum, Westfield Cup class cars; Caterham Superlight R300 & R400; roadgoing two-seater specials including one-off Sports Specials with power-to-weight ratio up to 340bhp/tonne


The original pick-up points must be used and suspension configuration retained. Springs and dampers are free.


Subject to no more than 4 pot callipers and no ABS, braking systems are free.


Gearbox and diff must be from a production car. Close ratio gears are permitted, maximum 5-speed plus reverse.


The control tyre is the Yokohama AO32R or AO48R. Rim width is 6″ or 7″ depending upon class.


There are 12 rounds in the 2012 season, of which the best 10 count for the Championship.


Registration fee for the 2012 Season is £110.
750 Motor Club membership for 12 months is £56.00 including a joining fee .

RGB Bike Engined Kit Car Racing Championship –
750M/C Series For Bike Engined Cars

Vehicle Type

Created in 2001, the RGB Championship (Roadgoing bike-engined cars) is for two-seater cars to roadgoing spec and capable of passing an MoT on the day of the event. The cars can be ‘one-off’, converted sports or Sports Specials or one of the many bike-engined Sports Specials, including Striker, Phoenix or Fulcrum.

Class F: Front-engined cars up to 1000cc.
Class R: Rear or mid-engined cars up to 1000cc
Class A: Front-engined, rear-engined or mid-engined cars over 1,000 cc up to 180bhp/134.228kw/182.49ps but limited to those specific cars which have competed in at least one RGB championship race prior to the end of the 2011 season.


Any series-production four-stroke motorcycle engine; two-stroke, multi-engine and turbo/supercharged are not permitted. Engines must remain entirely standard and unmodified, but dry-sump, carb jetting and exhaust system are free.


Suspension design and system is free, although ‘active’ suspension is not permitted.


Braking system is free, with the exception of ABS and carbon-fibre discs.


The gearbox and its ratios must be standard for the engine with a maximum of 6 forward speeds; there must also be a system of reverse which will drive the car and driver a distance of 3 metres and pass one of the wheels over a block 40mm square.


Yokohama A048R control tyre.


There are 14 rounds in the 2012 season, of which the best 12 count for the championship.


Registration fee for the 2012 Season is £110.
750 Motor Club membership for 12 months is £56.00 including a joining fee .
The Season Cost Is £1941 – This includes 14 x 15 lap races.

As can be seen, whilst not “cheap” as racing goes, Kit Car Racing is far from the expensive end of the spectrum and is more achievable than some might imagine. So what are you waiting for…? GO Kit Car Racing in your Striker, Phoenix or Fulcrum!

Posted in Featured, Motorsport, Raw Striker Ltd.